Monday, December 6, 2010

Embryo Testing: Who Decides 'Defective?'

"I have a daughter with Down syndrome. She is not a defective model of a human being, but rather, like me, a human being with gifts and with limitations. Many medical professionals and many parents see Down syndrome and other disabilities as tragedies to be avoided. And it may seem that the only reason I would advocate for more children with Down syndrome is because I don't want my own daughter to be a part of a dying breed. Discarding embryos because of an extra 21st chromosome seems like a grand medical advancement that will help thousands. And yet discarding embryos discards the possibility for knowing humanity in its fullness."


http://mobile.courant.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=298&nid=30858679&cid=16794&scid=2205&ith=1&title=Opinion

No comments: